For many, owning a home on the beach is a dream come true. But living next to any body of water presents a unique set of circumstances that can affect how your home is insured. What sort of insurance for beachfront property should you have? And how does that differ from a normal homeowner’s policy?

It is likely a carrier will classify a beachfront home as being within coastal waters territory. That territory is the distance inland from the shore, usually about three miles for most carriers. This distance can vary, so make sure to check with your agent to see how your property is defined.

The Difference Between Homeowners and Coastal Waters Insurance

Since your home is on the beach, you should assume you need coastal waters homeowners’ protection. The difference between this coverage and standard homeowners insurance has more to do with the weather than anything else.

Storms come off the water with an intensity different from many inland storms. This exposes beachfront homes to potential damage inland homes are not as likely to receive. For this reason, your homeowner’s policy may come with separate deductibles for named-storms, wind and hurricanes.

If you want to know whether you need specialized insurance for beachfront property, work with your carrier to find out. A good agent can tell you what coverage is best for you.